1. Purpose of the operating system
An operating system is the core software that controls how a computer operates.
Well known operating systems include Windows, Linux, Unix, iOS and Android. Although these operating systems are very different in terms of the code they run, they do share a common purpose.
They need to:-
- Control the hardware of the computer system. e.g. hard disk, graphics card, mouse.
- Manage software, in terms of loading (and unloading) into main memory.
- Provide security, such as user name and password control.
- Provide an user interface, to allow a person to interact with the computer.